Frequently Asked Questions
In case you have a question we haven’t addressed, please contact us today so we can answer your question and post it on this page to help out our other customers who may have the same question.
- 1. Always insist on taking samples home. You cannot bring your sofa, drapes, chairs, paint, and lamps to the store. The carpet dealer who refuses to let you take samples home is afraid you will use the samples to shop the competition. You should not have to leave a deposit for the samples either.
- 2. Insist on a FREE, Professional measurement.
- 3. Insist on being able to see the layout of your job and a seam plan.
- 4. Insist on seeing the square footage you are being charged for.
- 5. Get the final complete cost that includes the following:
- Take Up
- Moving furniture
- Metal Strips
- 6. Don’t fall in love with a price that is not what it appears to be.
- 7. Insist on experienced salespeople.
- 8. Insist on experienced installers.
- 9. Always check the BBB, Washington Checkbook, and Angie’s List for company ratings.
- 10. Don’t be pressured. You will have to live with your decisions for many years. Take your time.
- 11. Ask questions. Test your salesman’s knowledge and become more comfortable with your choices.
Better Yet – Don’t take a chance. Come into Sterling Carpet Shops today where we insist you get the best and most complete service.
Q. Can I bring samples home?
A. Yes. You must be able to see the sample in your home. Insist on being able to take the sample home with you for color, opinions of others, and to compare with your other accessories.
Q. If I order today when can I expect completion?
A. Depending on stock status of the product approximately 7-10 business days.
Q. If you don’t have a sample in the store, can you order it for me?
A. Yes. We can have a sample for you (if we don’t have a large enough sample in store for you) in approximately five days.
Q. Should I pay my balance before the installation is complete?
A. No. Payment is due in full upon completion of the installation and the job is complete to your satisfaction.
Q. Do you provide financing?
A. Yes. We accept all major credit cards (Visa, Mastercard, Discover, and American Express). We also offer a 6 Months Same As Cash (SAC) financing upon credit approval and other options are available.
Q. What do I do if I have a spill?
A. Refer to our online stain removal chart.
Q. Do you have a labor warranty?
A. All of our labor is under warranty for the first year.
Q. What do I need to do to prepare for you to come to my home?
A. Please follow these simple steps to assist our installers in preparation for your new flooring:
- Move all breakables such as ashtrays, vases, lamps, dishes, and plants from the area the carpet is to be installed.
- In bedrooms strip the beds. Clear the tops of all dressers, and empty the bottom of the closets, if they are to be carpeted.
- Please disconnect and move any stereos, televisions, VCRs, and computer equipment. We will not be responsible for any damage which might occur to electronic equipment.
- We do not cut doors off for carpet clearance. We suggest that a carpenter be contacted if this service is needed.
- If you would remove all small items you can from the rooms to be carpeted, it will speed and aid in installation. Those heavy items that you cannot move will be moved for you.
- If you now have wall-to wall carpeting, we will reuse the tack strip already down. If damaged we will replace them. In most cases, metal is replaced.
- Please be sure that power is available and on for the equipment to be used in your installation. During the colder months we also need the heat turned on.
- If any questions arise during the installation, the person on the jobsite will be happy to answer them. If your question is not properly addressed, please call the office and ask for your salesperson and they will be glad to help you.
- There will be an extra charge to move large items such as pianos, pool tables (no slate), washers and dryers, and large wall units.
- Seams look their worst when first installed. They get better with time (in summer 4 to 6 weeks, in winter 8 to 12 weeks). Some materials seam more easily than others do. No seam can be guaranteed to be invisible.
- We will — during the colder months — need to increase the temperature in your home. This will allow the carpet to warm and be easier to work with.
Q. Why do I want laminate instead of hardwood in my kitchen?
A. There are many considerations: the look, the level of expectation, maintenance, traffic level, exposure to light, lifestyle, etc. The proper selection depends on all the items above and more. An in-store conference with one of our sales associates is the best answer.
Q. Do I need a pad for my area rug?
A. It depends on the rug, the surface it will rest on, if something will sit on it, the traffic pattern, etc.
Q. Why use Sterling Carpet Shops?
A. Pricing, professionals, genuine concern about your flooring project, experience and honest employees. We are SIMPLY THE BEST.